Killeen Gonzalez - Associated Content

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Interview with Apollo Theater Bassist, Alex Evans - (Yahoo! Entertainment Reprint) #ThrowbackThursday

Most of us have to imagine what it would be like to work and perform with such musical greatness as Usher, Mariah Carey, Kelly Clarkson, Whitney Houston, Boys to Men and the venerable legend Patti Labelle. But for St. Louis, Missouri native and long-time musician Alex Evans, what is fantasy to most is his everyday reality.

Having started his musical career decades ago as part of a family venture, Evans is currently the house band Bassist at the historic Apollo Theater located in Harlem, New York. The Apollo Theater has been an integral part of music heritage for 77 amazing years, launching the careers of many iconic entertainers. Evans has been blessed to be a part of that rich heritage and I was favored with the opportunity to interview him about it all.

Here’s a look at what was said:

Gonzalez: I’ve heard that you started working in the music industry when you were 8 years old playing Bass and singing backup vocals as part of your family’s group The Evans Gospel Singers. What was that experience like?

Evans: It was a greatly defining moment for me and, now that I’m older, I truly appreciate the impact it has had on my career. Starting out as early as I did enabled me to establish certain characteristics that are necessary in this business – like discipline and work ethic.

Gonzalez: What advice would you give to someone just starting out in the music industry?

Evans: Stop, look, listen, and then apply yourself whole heartily to your gift.

Gonzalez: How often to you practice?

Evans: Well, it varies. Sometimes, I will find myself in a period where I’m everyday and all day!

Gonzalez: How has the music industry changed since you first started?

Evans: Music and the world of technology are always changing and they are becoming far more integrated in terms of distribution and even in the process of creating music. Music now is heavily dependent upon technology.

Gonzalez: The Apollo Theater is such an iconic piece of New York City’s heritage that it just exudes music history. What does it feel like to go to work every day in such a historic and venerable venue?

Evans: Wow. This is such a big deal for me. I grew up watching Showtime at Apollo and the Apollo was always this larger than life place. Now I get to be a part of the Apollo experience.

Gonzalez: I’ve read that over the years you have played and recorded with an impressive array of musical artists including Patti Labelle, Usher, Mariah Cary, Whitney Houston and Boys to Men. Is there one particular artist or musical group that you hit if off really well with and if so please elaborate?

Evans: Well I have to say MS.PATTI LABELLE. She has always been so nice to me. She was a consummate professional and just the nicest lady.

Gonzalez: What artists do you especially look forward to in the future?

Evans: Elton John and Paul McCartney

Gonzalez: What has been your most memorable music industry experience thus far and why?

Evans: During the 2011 BET awards, they honored Patti with the life time achievement award and in her acceptance speech she said," I would like to say thank you to my band. I would like to thank ALEX EVANS." I just felt so overwhelmed like man, this is her moment and she included me. Just WOW!

Gonzalez: What accomplishment are you most proud of and why?

Evans: The fact that I have been able to make a career doing something I truly love to do.

Gonzalez: Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

Evans: Hopefully being the best father who ever played bass.

Gonzalez: If you could only be remembered for one thing what would it be and why?

Evans: Being the best father who ever played bass.

Author's Note: This interview originally appeared on Yahoo! Entertainment several years ago. The publishing rights have since reverted back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment