Killeen Gonzalez - Associated Content

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Interview with Kenny Likitprakong, Skater and Owner of Hobo Wine Company (Yahoo! Reprint) #ThrowbackThursday

This is a reprint of my 2011 interview with winemaker and skateboarder, Kenny Likitprakong.

36 year old Santa Rosa native Kenny Likitprakong is a rich blend of elements; not unlike the robust wines he produces through his business, the Hobo Wine Company. Likitprakong is a skateboarder, world traveler, filmmaker, family man and California vintner. He has also partnered up with pro skater Dylan Rieder and Thundertrucks on a special item due to be released soon. Despite it being harvest time, he graciously made time for me this week. We talked about skateboarding, winemaking, travel and his work with Rieder and Thundertrucks.

Gonzalez: How long have you been skateboarding and do you still find time to do it?

Likitprakong: I've been skateboarding since I was eight or nine, I think. I still find some time to skateboard, but not as much as I would like or as I used to. Nowadays, I would say I skate a few times a month max. Mostly I skate the parks around Sonoma County. Windsor is close to where I work. Every now and again, I'm lucky enough to push around in San Francisco or some other city. I was in New York a few months ago and actually skated a lot. I skate a REAL 7 3/4 with Thunder trucks and 57mm Spitfire wheels. It is a setup that is somewhere in between wishing I could still do some tricks and accepting my old man status.

Gonzalez: On the surface it seems like such a leap going from being a skateboarder and snowboarder to a full time winemaker. Would you mind sharing with us what inspired you to make that transition?

Likitprakong: Skating and snowboarding have always been fun hobbies and part of my life, but winemaking came more out of trying to escape being a teacher. I grew up around a winery that my dad works at, so the transition was pretty easy.

Gonzalez: In your opinion, how are skateboarding and winemaking similar?

Likitprakong: Both make me happy. Both are a scene that you can like or not like - both for me, depending on the day and my mood. There is a creative aspect to both, but a lot of hard work goes into both too. It's not something that someone can just hand to you.

Gonzalez: What has been the greatest challenge for you as a skateboarder turned winemaker?

Likitprakong: No challenge here. They can, and do, exist simultaneously.

Gonzalez: What has been the most satisfying thing about having your own wine company?

Likitprakong: I get to make my own mistakes and enjoy my own successes. It has also allowed me the flexibility to have the kind of family life that I want.

Gonzalez: From what I saw on your website it seems that you have traveled extensively while perfecting your craft. What region of the world was your favorite and were you able to get in any skateboarding in during those trips?

Likitprakong: I always travel with my skateboard and most of the time I get to push somewhere. It is pretty easy for me to say that France is my favorite place outside California. A lot of things that I like and believe in seem to come together there. We also have a lot of friends there, which always makes things easier. I've skated a lot in Paris and a little in other parts.

Gonzalez: I read that you have had a friendship with the folks at Thundertrucks for some time now. How did that relationship start?

Likitprakong: Darin Howard, the team manager contacted me after seeing a SF Chronicle article that I was featured in. From there, I met Jim Thiebaud and some of the other DLX guys. They are genuine and generous guys who have supported what I do. And the friendship has continued.

Gonzalez: I was hoping that you would share with the readers a sneak preview of what the soon to be released collaboration between you, Thundertrucks and Dylan Rieder entails? What is it and when will it be released?

Likitprakong: Basically, we did a wine with a label that matches the graphic on Dylan's signature truck. It is kind of a weird tie in, but Dylan likes wine and I like to skate. So I guess that seemed like enough.

Gonzalez: I also heard that Landon Dowlen, your wine label designer, also skateboards. Is that correct and is he still with your firm?

Likitprakong: Landon has his own company, landonsea.com, but he still does and hopefully always will do our labels. He is a very close friend besides, but he doesn't skate enough.

Gonzalez: Are you currently working on projects with any other skateboarders or skateboarding related businesses?

Likitprakong: Not really, but this harvest marks our 10th anniversary of business so we are planning some things that will hopefully involve skating.

Gonzalez: Do you have any regrets about not pursing skateboarding as a career?

Likitprakong: No, but if it was my fate, I would have enjoyed it. I'm happy lurking on the fringe.

Gonzalez: Do you have any wines releasing in time for the holidays or special wine tasting events scheduled?

Likitprakong: We always have new wines, but tend to have our more robust releases this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment