Killeen Gonzalez - Associated Content

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Interview with Ralph Rolle, Apollo Theater’s Drummer and a Whole Lot More (Reprint of Yahoo! article)

The following is a reprint of the interview I conducted a while ago with musician, Ralph Rolle. The original interview appeared on Yahoo! but they no longer own the rights to it.

Ralph Rolle is a man with a lot going on and a history as rich as the world’s most decadent dessert. He is an accomplished drummer who has worked at the famed Apollo Theater located in the Harlem section of New York City for 18 amazing years. The iconic Apollo Theater itself has been around for 77 years launching and cultivating the careers of such artists as Sammy Davis Jr, Ella Fitzgerald, Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby and more.

During his musical career Rolle himself has performed with such musical legends as Queen Latifah, Nile Rodgers and Chic, Biggie Smalls, John Legend and former Apollo Theater Amateur Night Music Director turned American Idol Musical Director Ray Chew and the Crew.

When he is not making the music himself he is producing it for such major companies as Nike, Miller Genuine Draft and Burger King via his thriving business, Phat Kay Productions. One would think that those tasks would keep a man busy around the clock, but not Ralph Rolle.

Rolle is a man whose energy and passions seemingly know no bounds. He owns a cookie company and co-founded a social entertainment networking site as well. He also graciously made time for me this week and agreed to sit down to an in-depth interview about his work in the music industry, his famous friends and his passions.

Here’s what was said:

Gonzalez: How did you get started in the music industry?

Rolle: I got my start in the music industry when I was 18 years old. A drummer/singer named Wade (Puggy) Taylor who lived in my building was the percussionist and vocalist for a group called Musique. Their hit was Push, Push in the Bush. They needed a drummer so he recommended me.

Gonzalez: What advice would you give to someone just starting out in the music industry?

Rolle: I would tell them that the music industry is about music but it's also about business. I would tell them that as soon as they start calling this the business music and not the music business, they will have success and a better understanding as to what is needed and expected of them.

Gonzalez: How often to you practice?

Rolle: I don't have time to practice, unless it's for a gig. I use to practice every day. My mother couldn't afford drum lessons or drums so I taught myself to play and to read music. I would go to my friends house across the street and play on his drums or go to Jamaica, Queens from The Bronx by bus and play on my cousins drums. He had a basement. I could play all day. I would record myself on a cassette, play it back and fix what I didn't like.

Gonzalez: How has the music industry changed since you first started?

Rolle: In my opinion, the music industry hasn't changed all that much. People are still following trends and styles and also being innovative. Artists are trying to get signed and heard around the world just like Huddie 'Leadbelly' Ledbetter did back in the day. The best way they can. The communication platform for music has changed immensely. The Internet, smart phones, iPads and iTunes wasn't around when I came in the business. These tools have totally changed the business model of the industry.

Gonzalez: Where do you see the music industry headed in 5 years? 10 years?

Rolle: In 5 years, I see the music industry becoming a purchase free platform. All music will be given away and ad space will drive the revenue. In 10 years...who knows.

Gonzalez: The Apollo Theater is such an iconic piece of New York City’s heritage that it just exudes music history. What does it feel like to go to work every day in such a historic and venerable venue?

Rolle: I've been the drummer at The Apollo Theater for 18 years. I've been coming to The Apollo from birth. First, brought to the theater by my mother and then my sister. Every time that I walk into The Apollo, I feel as if I've been granted a special privilege. The privilege to play on a stage where entertainment royalty has performed. I am honored to be there for every performance. The legacy that I am now a part of I carry that proudly and speak of it often. My first time performing on The Apollo stage was in 1987 with the Def Jam Soul Songs Tour. I nervously walked on stage and started tearing because at that moment, I felt like I had truly made it.

I've been fortunate as musician to travel the world but The Apollo is the universe for me. I tell everyone that I am the drummer at The World Famous Apollo Theater. I speak of The Apollo Theater with pride and show people pictures, like I'm showing a coat of arms. My words are like I am carrying the Apollo torch around the world for all to see. It's not just a New York City iconic piece but a global iconic piece. It is home base for me. It's family.

Gonzalez: I know that as the founder of Phat Kat Productions and with your job with the Apollo Theater that you must have a tremendous amount of things going on. With that said what other projects are you currently working on?

Rolle: I like staying busy. Sleep is under rated. I am currently involved in a few projects with my production company. I'm producing Dr. Eric Turner's CD and working on a pilot for TV for Dr. Turner as well. I am the co-founding partner of an entertainment industry social network called ImGiggin.com. I also have a passion for baking. I am the owner of a cookie company called The Soul Snacks Cookie Company. www.SoulSnacksNYC.com. You can find my product in about 50 Deli's and Cafe's around New York City with more to come. The Sweet Potato Cookies are my biggest seller. I can't walk into The Apollo without cookies. They are a lot of very unhappy faces when I don't have any.

Gonzalez: I’ve read that over the years you have played with an impressive array of musical artists including Biggie Smalls, Japanese Super star Toshi Kubota, Nile Rodgers and Chic and Queen Latifah. Is there one particular artist or musical group that you hit if off really well with and if so please elaborate?

Rolle: I've been fortunate enough to play for many different artists and many different styles of music. I love when an artist is down to earth, kind, honest, caring and real with all that are around them. There are two that stand out. Grammy winner Nile Rodgers and Grammy nominated artist Oran "Juice" Jones.

Nile Rodgers, even with all of the major accolades and achievements this man has, he is as real as it comes. Last year, I went through some personal situations, from the death of my oldest sister Yvette to the loss of a good friend and some other things. Nile found out about it, got my home number, called me and said, "Hey...this is Nile. I heard you've dealing with some serious stuff. Believe me...I understand and if there's anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to call me man. I gotchu." All I could was cry because I knew he truly meant it and really needed a friend at that moment. I knew it was from the heart. Nile, an Apollo House Band Alumnus, is a musical legend who has produced Madonna, David Bowie, Diana Ross, Sister Sledge, Duran Duran and many, many more and I am proud to work with him and honored to call him a friend. He's real..."project real", as we say in Bronx River.

Oran "Juice" Jones was almost brand new to the business. After writing "Day Dreamin'" for Kurtis Blow, Juice was given a chance by Russell Simmons to record his own album. "I Saw You Walking In The Rain" was a major hit for Oran which allowed him the chance to tour with his own band. I auditioned and got the job. Juice was and is so caring to all. He treated his musicians and singers with respect as well as his crew. Everyone was family and we felt like family. We all still keep in very close contact and it was because Juice was the gentleman that he was. We became partners and had a group signed to Island Records.

Gonzalez: What artists do you especially look forward to working with in the future?

Rolle: I would love to work with Bill Withers, Raul Midon and Hilary Kole. Call me ! ! !

Gonzalez: What has been your most memorable music industry experience thus far and why?

Rolle: The day that I got called to be the drummer at The Apollo Theater. I was first called to sub for my friend Buddy Williams. After playing, I got a call to come back that next Wednesday. I didn't know the callback was going to last for 18 years. Who would've thought?

Gonzalez: What accomplishment are you most proud of and why?

Rolle: I'm most proud of the fact that I didn't embarrass my mother and I made her proud. I never wanted my mother to have to bail me out of jail or pick up from the 43rd precinct. I lost Rose Rolle when I was 23 years old and I know she is proud of me. All that I achieve, I do it in her honor. I grew up in Bronx River Projects. It was easy to find trouble and it was just as easy to find greatness. I found the greatness in project life. I'm proud because I knew I could do anything I put my mind and time into doing. Can't didn't live in my house.

Gonzalez: Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

Rolle: In 5 years, I see myself running a successful production company and cookie company and the director of a Drum and Bugle Corps. In 10 years...probably a lot of the same thing.

Gonzalez: If you could only be remembered for one thing what would it be and why?

Rolle: I have two. I'd like to be remembered for making people laugh and helping people. Why... because making someone laugh and being helpful to others are the two most beautiful things you can do for anyone.

LIVE WITH PASSION

No comments:

Post a Comment